Sunday, March 9, 2014

READING: If it is as simple as ABC, then why aren't all kids reading at grade level?

Ok, I know you are probably tired of hearing about the conference I attended last month in South Carolina and everything I learned there but I had to share one more thing I learned there.  At the conference, I heard a presentation by Dr. Richard Allington.  I had never heard of him before (I will admit it) and I was afraid that he would talk over my head using educational jargon that would bore me.  Happily this was not the case! He sounded "down to Earth" and his facts regarding the number of books in a home and a student's future made me sit up and take notice.

I actually have been praying about what my next educational move needs to be because I feel I am not doing enough.  Lately, I keep coming back to the information he shared and the importance of students reading at grade level by 3rd grade.  If students are not reading at grade level by 3rd grade they are more likely to drop out of high school.  As many of you know, decisions on how many beds to build a prison to hold is based on the number of non-proficient students in 3rd grade in the surrounding areas.  If this important decision is made using that data AND we do not want our students to end up in prison, we need to change the educational portion of the equation.

I don't believe that this is a K-12 educational issue.  Students must be reading or have all the tools needed to begin reading before they enter kindergarten.  The first teachers (parents, grandparents,...the "village") must do their part.  I feel that most adults would step up and do their part if they knew how to do so.  I believe that we have an opportunity to help educate the community about the importance of reading and that when we begin to impact students earlier our work will be easier later.

As educators, we are asked to do so much with so little.  Less time and more expectations cloud our educational system...but the consequences of not doing more is so HUGE!  I would not be able to look any under performing student in the eye at Erwin, in the coming years, if I don't try and do more.  I hope you will join me in this effort.  I will be sharing more information regarding this charge in coming weeks but I want you to start reflecting on what you'd be willing to do to improve our community.  Are you willing to sacrifice something so precious as time for to save something so precious like the children of Erwin?

Please make sure you have signed your class up for the Literature Fair.  You will need to pick 5 books and I'd love to see all of you participate as a staff.  The link to the sign up page is below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AodILhuVn5fidHNHN3oyRy0xVHFESkJMZVdhOEtOLVE&usp=sharing


Again, Thanks for ALL you do!
Angela

Here is a humorous look at why reading is important.

Week of March 10-14, 2014
Monday, March 10

  • 4th Grade PLC
  • 3rd Grade PLC/ RtA Scoring
  • Backus Baby Shower in Media Center at 3:30
  • Hill Out (PM)/ DLP
  • SIGN UP FOR BOOKS BY 5:00 PM TODAY!!!
Tuesday, March 11
  • 5th Grade PLC
  • RtA Assessment
  • Writing PD at CES 3:30-5:30 (all students will need to be taken to auditorium at 3:00 and all other staff will help with dismissal; classroom teachers please leave information regarding how students go home on your desk)
  • No After School Tutoring
  • Hill Out (DLP)
Wednesday, March 12


  • Spring Pictures in Auditorium
  • RtA Assessment
  • HOB Practice for Honor Chorus at THS at 1PM
  • Hill Out (READY/ NCDPI Mtg.)
Thursday, March 13
  • RtA Assessment
  • Harnett Off Broadway at THS at 7 PM (staff not expected to attend)
Friday, March 14
  • RtA Assessment Make-ups
  • Enhancement PLC
  • Eye Screenings
  • Sham "Rock" Dance After-School 

No comments:

Post a Comment