Saturday, January 21, 2017

Strengthening The Core: #3 Feedback


Feedback is a topic that I have read many article and books about.  I believe the reason I am drawn to this topic is because I thrive on feedback.  Since entering my first classroom, as a teacher way back in 2001, I have wanted to get feedback.  Feedback from my peers, my supervisors, parents of my students and I even wanted to hear from the scariest and hardest to please group...my 21 kindergarten students.  Each year in May, I would do small group debriefs with my babies and ask them questions like "What was the best experience you had this year?" and "What did Ms. McCall (my former self) do that made you sad/mad this year?"  I always prepared for these session by giving myself feedback and I was also harder on myself than the others I sought feedback from.

Our students need feedback as well.  Feedback is vital to student growth and improvement.  But feedback must be (1) Descriptive and (2) Specific.  


Feedback Embedded Within a Lesson
When we think about effective feedback, we know that we must plan for effective feedback.  To design effective feedback, we think about who that we are providing the feedback.  A helpful starting point to design effective feedback is designing for individuals and the entire group/class.  
Design Individual Feedback:
Praise
Encourage
Correct
Design Entire Group/Class Feedback:
Affirm
Correct
Here's an example of effective feedback in a math classroom!




Thank you for the long hours, the stressful days and the countless hours you plan to provide a quality education to the students at TCEA!  Hope you are having a great weekend and I'll see you all Monday morning!

Angela


Week of Monday, January 23-27, 2017

Monday, January 23
  • Grades Due at 8:00 AM
  • SIT MTG in Cafe at 3:30 PM
  • TCEA Board Mtg in Music Room at 5:15 PM
  • i-Ready Assessments: Bowermaster (Math) & Griggs (Math)
Tuesday, January 24

  • i-Ready Assessments: Bowermaster (Reading) & Griggs (Reading)
  • Mrs. Hagler and Mrs. Magan Begin Mrs. Lamb's Room
  • PLCs (RtI Focus)
    • 8:30-9:30= 5th, 6th and 7th
    • 10-11= K
    • 12-1= 1st and 2nd
    • 1-2= 3rd and 4th
    • 2-2:45= Support Services
  • Hill at District MTSS Mtg in Fayetteville 9 AM-4 PM
Wednesday, January 25
  • i-Ready Assessments: DeNoble (Math) & Lee (Math)
  • 5th, 6th and 7th Grades Field Trip to NC Art Museum
  • MTSS Team Mtg (Department Chairs) at 3:30 in PLC Room
Thursday, January 26
  • i-Ready Assessments: DeNoble (Reading) &Lee (Reading)
  • Midterm Progress Reports
Friday, January 27
  • Teacher Workday
    • K-2 and RtI: Ebli Training in Grunden's Room (Bring a white board)
    • 3rd-7th, Arts, Support Staff: Please see my email for your sessions and presenters, please send me your presentation before presenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment