Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Hope? Faith? Courage?



 Jacob Lawrence called Forward from 1967

If you have not heard of the One Word Challenge vs. New Year Resolutions, I encourage you to explore this concept.  What the supporters of the One Word Movement believe is that having one focus and getting rid of a list of ways you plan to improve helps you actually change your behaviors and follow through with your change.  To learn more about this, click here

I promised myself I would not get too preachy but after a being cooped up with myself trying to get better from a sickness that I have put off for too long (since Thanksgiving Break)... and watching my once vibrant grandmother lay in her bed as hospice has been called in... I have come to realize that this blog is for you BUT much more for me.  So this week (short or maybe not even existing if snow piles up), I want you to take the time to listen to the podcast on Courage.  I considered Hope and even Faith for 2018 but after seeing this quote:

Courage is my only option for 2018.  I think COURAGE should be the 2018 word for TCEA!  In the podcast you'll hear about cases where courage was needed and developed and ****spoiler alert**** none of the cases are at schools. But all of you are smart enough to make connections and take what you hear and apply it to what you do Monday-Friday in our building. 

Podcast is here!!!


Remember, we are teaching the students using the Artful Thinking Palette (see below).  We can use the purple paint of finding complexity or the orange paint of comparing and connecting to take this podcast and extend to our lives, jobs and relationships with others. 



There are many nuggets of wisdom in this podcast but in the first story, I heard these lines that spoke to me...

"Culture is the accumulation of EVERYONE'S ACTIONS."


We need to collaborate and work together so each of us can be the best version of ourselves that we can be. If we don't...


"The most dangerous thing in an organizations is silence. It's all those brains whizzing around full of observations, insights and ideas that are not being articulated."


And if we do not work together and create a culture that encourages ALL students and wants the best for ALL students and expects each of us to have the COURAGE to give our ALL and the best we have to give (and the courage to come back the next day to give differently if the first time bombs)...we have created a dangerous situation for ALL OF US!

"Courage is having the clarity to see the two bad choices (to say something or not say something).  There is no safe path. You do know that if you don't speak up, everything will stay the same."

Margaret Heffernan is just one of the featured speakers in the podcast but I am hoping her words will draw you in to listen to the 48 minute presentation (see link above).

I am looking forward to this next 6 months working out our plan for success.  

Hope to see you tomorrow.  If we do close or have any delays, we'll send you EMAIL and Activate Phone Tree.   - Angela


Week of Thursday, January 4-Friday, January 5
Thursday, January 4
  • Kindergarten Planning at 8 AM
  • 504 Mtg in PLC Room at 8 AM
  • 2nd Grade Planning at 10:10 AM (please make sure to reserve 15 minutes at beginning of planning for EBLI and Reading Block Conversation with curriculum leadership)
  • 4th Grade Planning at 12:50 PM

Friday, January 5
  • Kindergarten Planning at 8 AM (please make sure to reserve 15 minutes at beginning of planning for EBLI and Reading Block Conversation with curriculum leadership)
  • 1st Grade Planning at 9:05 AM (please make sure to reserve 15 minutes at beginning of planning for EBLI and Reading Block Conversation with curriculum leadership)
  • Hill Visits to Check ISP (Individual Student Plans) 10:15-2 PM; Please have the forms that your shared with parents on their student's progress pulled and ready for me to review when I come to your room; If you have not turned in the documentation of whom you visited with and who still needs a conference, PLEASE have this there as well).





1 comment:

  1. I was literally just reading about this! I did a journal prompt on assigning one word to each lesson learned for each year from 2003 to 2017, and then set a single word intention for 2018. My one word for 2018 is "Balance".
    - Trish

    ReplyDelete