Saturday, April 19, 2014

Do What I Say And Not What I Do!

Today I was at the gym and a story came on the news about the number of educators that have decided to leave the teaching profession in Wake County and the reasons why they decided to do so.  When I go out in public I TRY to blend in and not identify myself as an educator so I can hear what people really think when topics surrounding education come up.  But today, I could not hold it in.  As I jogged beside my sister and another runner, I started "talking" to the TV when it was stated that the reason why educators were leaving the profession had nothing to do with recent legislation (25% decision, no pay for Master Degrees, raise for only beginning teachers, lack of respect, etc.) but it was all because of Medicaid, the previous governor and her decisions, and the lack of professionalism found in educators.  REALLY???

Now this is not an anti Republican rant...I really do not care about WHY the state of NC has found it's self in this mess.  All I want to know is what are we going to do about it NOW to ensure that more qualified and passionate educators do not leave our profession.  That is what's important!  I recently gave staff members an article about leadership in last Faculty Summit and it stated that we can not wait for someone else to make change happen...we have to lead it!  I ask you: What are you willing to do to ensure that our students have the best educators in front of them on a daily basis?  What are you going to do to ensure that ALL students have a chance to a free quality education?

I believe it is time to really put into action what we say we're about.  I encourage to speak out in support of public education.  Write letters to local newspapers.  Talk about the impact these recent legislature decisions are having on you and your family.  We must be the change we want to see in the world.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Hope everyone has an amazing week!




WEEK OF APRIL 21-25
* Administrative Assistant Week
* Summatives Begin
* Observations Resume for Staff not Evaluated on TNL

MONDAY

  • 4th Grade PLC
  • 3rd Grade PLC/ Score RtA Passages
  • Faculty Summit at 3:30 
TUESDAY
  • 5th Grade PLC
  • Awards Day at 1:30
  • RtA Passage
WEDNESDAY
  • RtA Passage
  • County EC Lead Teacher Meeting
  • Hill out for Harnett Leadership Class
THURSDAY
  • RtA Passage
  • County Volunteer Breakfast
  • Hill out in AM (7:45-10:00/ DR. Appt for Children)
  • IXL/AR Field Trip (Mrs. Gaines and Ms. Dunkins will be sending out more information)
FRIDAY
  • Hill out at 1 PM through rest of the day
  • RtA Makeups
  • Enhancement PLC

Looking forward to next week...
1. Harnett County Job Fair on Saturday, April 26 (I hope you've discussed with me the possibility of you not returning next year, if that's your choice, so I can start looking for good people to replace you. You owe it to our students to allow me time to find quality!)
2. 1/2 day plannings and PLC on Monday and Tuesday
3. Hill out all day Wednesday (4/30)
4. PAYDAY on 4/30!!!!!
5. Bootcamp BEGINS!!!!!!
6. Zaxby Fundraiser on 5/1
7. Goody Day on 5/2 and Honor's Chorus Gone

No comments:

Post a Comment