Sunday, April 6, 2014

What's In It For Me?

Have you ever been in a meeting and wondered why you were there?  I mean you actually start thinking in your head "Why is this important and how will this help me in the future?"  I know I have.  I used to have these thoughts a lot...but the frequency of these thoughts have lessen much because I have started to see my job as one where I must learn a little something here and there to make changes that will benefit the children of Erwin.  I have realized that although the entire seminar or presentation might not be directly for me, I can learn from any situation that I find myself in.

Now, let's think about our students? How many times do you think our learners question "How am I going to us this in the future?"?  And, "Why is this important?"?  I believe that many times students are left wondering how will this benefit me and because of this way of thinking they are unable to take the education they gain in the classroom and apply it to the real world applications and/or the End of Grade test.  This "isolation learning" is not the way to prepare students for the future.  I believe the key is having students apply what they are learning to real world problems.

As many of you know, my dream is to open up my own school.  Now, what many of you do not know is the school of dreams already exists.  And there are many of them across the US.  I am including a link to one school who is making this type of learning a reality.  Wouldn't it be great if Erwin Elementary could become the first of this kind in NC and the second elementary school model?  I believe so but I need to know if the team "likes" this model and can see themselves teaching at this type of school.  Let me know what you think and take time to reflect on this type of school.  I know this is nothing we could take on next year or probably the next, but could you see yourself working in a true community based school the year of 2016-2017? I could see all of you there.  We could begin next year my incorporating some of these ideals: town hall meetings for students, community service projects led by our students, planning our units with the "real world" situations where this information can be used and inviting those groups into the school to work alongside our students (since this is not a middle school/high school model).

The video clip embraces the high school version of the Big Picture Schools Model.

Take time to view the link and video below and dream with me!

 
Elementary Model:
 
Weekly Update for April 7-11, 2014
Monday, April 7

  • EOY Reading Benchmarks- please see schedule sent by Backus on Friday
  • Observations Continue
  • Post Observation Conferences Begin
  • RtA Scoring in 3rd Grade PLC
  • 4th Grade PLC- Begin Learning Focused On-Line Class
  • 3rd Grade PLC- Begin Learning Focused On-Line Class
  • Committee Meeting afterschool; We will meet in auditorium and then separate into groups. ALL certified staff MUST attend a committee meeting. Groups meeting are: Relay for Life, Give 5, Read 5, MTAC, and Science Olympiad (if you can not attend this meeting, please send M.Lee email)
  • Book Fair Begins
Tuesday, April 8
  • EOY Math Benchmarks- Mr. Backus will be sending a schedule to you
  • 5th Grade PLC-Begin Learning Focused On-Line Class
  • RtA Assessment in PM
  • Book Fair Continues
Wednesday, April 9
  • 4th Grade Suntrust Visit
  • Hill Gone from 2:30-4:15 for EC Coach Grant Mtg at DMS
  • Book Fair Continues
Thursday, April 10
  • Hill Gone Until 1PM to Principal's Mtg.
  • 5th Grade Suntrust Meeting
  • Book Fair Continues
  • Family Read In Event: 6-7:30 PM (Comp Time for all staff that attends and helps out; also your name will go in drawing for a SPECIAL prize).
Friday, April 11
  • Book Fair Ends
  • Enhancement PLC
  • Make A Child Smile Plate Sale Delivery (if you are still interested in buying a plate please sign up)
  • Gentlemen's Club Interest Breakfast at 9:00 (Will let you know who's been selected by Tuesday)

SATURDAY- FIRST EVER ELEMENTARY SCIENCE OLYMPIAD EVENT IN HARNETT COUNTY! YEAH, MRS. LEE!!! If you can help her out on Saturday, please join us as Erwin makes history AGAIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment