Sunday, March 8, 2015

Listen First To Understand

This is going to be short and sweet.  Currently, I am at The Cover- Billy Graham Training Center in Asheville for our church's marriage retreat.  It had been a wonderful weekend and I've learned a lot.  Two pieces of information I feel transcends marriage training and relates easily with those we spend the most time with between Monday and Friday...our co-workers.



  1. Listen first to understand: We spend so much time listening to people but manyt times we are waiting to find an in to share our thoughts/ideas.  What if we just actively listened and kept our mouths shut and then responded about what they said not how we feel about what they said?  I believe we'd have such stronger relationships if we exercised this among each other and out students.
  2. We also discussed that when you believe the grass is greener somewhere else, it's time to water your own grass. Many times people believe that there's something BETTER out there and there usually isn't.  In marriages, many times people leave their spouse because of a problem that makes up 20% of their problems but they connect on 80%.  They find someone who can meet that 20% that their previous spouse couldn't but they can't replace the 80% and now your worst off than before.  Let's not even look at marriages but relationships with friends and situations we find our selves in.  I can honestly say OUCH to this truth so I will stop here.

As we end our school year, please make sure you share any ideas with me and/or your school improvement team representatives on what and where you want to be next year by April 14th.  That is the date our next SIT mtg and I would like to begin discussing plans for next year.  And I promise to actively listen to any request you have as well as those of the SIT.  I also plan on being at EES next year. (I didn't get in to either graduate program...sad but am coming to grips with the fact that it is not my job to fill in the blanks...it's HIS job.) Although this was not my plan, it is was is planned for me and I am already thinking of ways to "tweark" what we do to take it to a whole 'nother level!

See you Monday and I hope you have a Sensational Sunday in the Sun!

Angela
Porch View Outside Of Training Center



Week of March 9-13, 2015
A WeekMonday, March 9

  • Peer Mediation Training in Media Center at 3:30
  • Hill at Planning Mtg at AES 10:30-12:30
  • Wax Museum Practice in Gym at 2:00 PM
  • Morning Meeting
Tuesday, March 10
  • BOB Competition at EES (Go team!)
  • Hill at NCDPI Mtg in Fayetteville (8:00-4:00)
  • 3rd and 4th PLCs
  • Wax Museum/ State of Erwin Mtg (6:30-8:00) all certified staff needs to attend*
  •  Problem Solving Mtg (I'm moving Faculty Summit to 3/17, Committee Mtg. 3/24, and PD on 3/31... please put on calendar)
Wednesday, March 11
  • Hill out at BB&T Leadership Training (can't be reached via email between 9 AM-9 PM)
  • 5th Grade PLC
  • 5th Grade Health Dept. Presentations
Thursday, March 12
  •  Hill out at BB&T Leadership Training (can't be reached via email between 9 AM-9 PM)
  • Spring Pictures
  • Problem Solving Mtg. at 3:30
Friday, March 13
  • Jeans for A Cause
  • Hill out at BB&T Leadership Training (can't be reached via email between 9 AM-5 PM)


    As always, if you see something incorrect or needs to be changed, please let me know.  

    *Although we, staff, were allowed to come in late for 3 Fridays, financially the district wants staff to make that time up.  I know many of you make that time up with no problem.  Tuesday night is one opportunity so please make sure you sign in in the office to document your time.  If you have any questions, please see anyone in the office.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment