Sunday, October 15, 2017

Self Reflect...not Self Loathe


Today I went to a leadership meeting at church and the leader told us that many times the only thing standing between where we are and where we want to be is ourselves.  She shared that the key to the breakthrough is self reflection and not self loathing.  

Wow! That is so true and usually when I reflect I start thinking about all the ways I need to change to improve and then that leads to me comparing myself to others and saying to myself (and to my team) I am not able. Last week I shared that if you know better...you have to do better.  I know better so I have to do better.  

Another mentor shared with me last year some of my personality traits that hold me back from being the best version of myself.  He was hesitant to share this with me because he knew, better than I, that I had problems accepting criticism.  I would like to think I have handled things better this year because of this incident.  He said, in the same way as the leader today, that the key is reflection not loathing.  This is exactly I needed to hear while reflecting on my visit to Arts Based Charter School this past Friday. This arts integration charter school has been around for 17 years and has grown to be a leader in the A+ Program in NC.  Here are a few ideas I'd like to share:

  • Each classroom featured a Masterpiece of the Month and tied a piece of artwork to a musical connection.  For example for Hispanic Heritage Month:


Diego Rivera (1886 - 1957)
  • Diego Rivera stands among the most famous Mexican muralists of all time. Known for his radical political and religion beliefs, Rivera often painted scenes that dealt with Mexican society and the Mexican Revolution of 1910. 
Musical Connection:

Gustavo Dudamel - Danzon n°2



  • A teacher used a piece of artwork to illustrate the difference between wants and needs (clean water) in a 2nd grade Social Studies classroom.  The teacher then helped students reproduce the piece through the integration of art terms/concepts in the lesson. It was hard to detect where the social studies stopped and art curriculum began. This is not picture used but example of concept.


  • Discipline is not a major issue at this school.  The leadership believes that your room should be a place your students want to stay in. Is what you're doing worth the student's time? If your classroom is really exciting they won't want to be sent out of class.
  • They continuously ask themselves this question:
    • What's working and what's not working? Once they find something that works they keep it.  They are basically using the same guide and plan each year and this ensures that each year students have something to look forward to that they didn't do the previous year.  EXAMPLE: each grade has a production that they do each year that is theirs.  They tie the units to these productions so they are part of the curriculum and not one more thing to do.
The BIG thing that I walked away with is that it takes time and self reflection to make a system come together.  The principal said it was around year 7 when things began to become 2nd Nature and wasn't as hard.  This is what anything good thing takes...time+reflection+ adjustments= Success!

Please seek out Mrs. Stoffer, Mrs. Ezell and Mr. Kline to get their thoughts from our trip as well.  We divided and conquered so I am unable to sum up the entire trip here! Looking forward to an amazing week and see everyone tomorrow!


🦎👏Chameleon Clap🦎👏
From Weir:
Mrs. Strimmel for letting me borrow a ton of paper clips at the last minute.

Mrs. A. Hill for saving my life with chocolate!

From Akers:
Ms. Caudle, thank you for stepping in to assist with additional K & 1st grade classes in the lunch line when their teachers weren’t available.

From Fleming:
I would first like to give a Chameleon Clap to Mrs. Samuelson for being an awesome neighbor and putting up with my crazy endless questions.

Second to Mrs. Ezell for being so positive and spreading zen amongst our team at times of dismay. 

Third to Mrs. Maijka for helping me out and bestowing her knowledge upon me!!!

Lastly to Mrs. Hill who is always a great reminder Grit and perseverance. (Excuses are tools of the incompetent)

Week of Monday, October 16- Friday, October 20, 2017

Monday, October 16
  • Chameleon Coin Roll Out Begins
  • FEO Interest Meeting at 8 AM in Cafe
  • EC PLC Meeting in PLC Room at 11
  • 5th Grade Planning at 12:50-1:50
  • FEO Interest Mtg (Repeat from AM) at 5:30 PM
Tuesday, October 17
  • Arts Integration Meeting
    • 2nd Grade 8-9
      • Magan/Poche-Falls
      • Cane-Lanham
      • Marshall-Strimel
    • 5th Grade 9:05-10:05
      • Samuelson-Carr
      • Ezzel -Akers
      • Fleming-Falls
  • Stoffer and Walker to Library 9:45-11:00
  • 3rd Grade Planning at 10:10-11:10
  • 6th Grade- Eat Less/ Move More Program 11-12
  • Middle Grades Planning at 1:55-2:55
Wednesday, October 18
  • Think Pink- $1 donation to wear pink and/or jeans (turn in all money to Joe by 10 AM)
  • Hill at Principal Ready Meeting in Fayetteville
  • PLC (SST Focus)
    • Kindergarten 8-9
    • 1st Grade 9:05-10:05
    • 2nd/3rd 10:10-11:10
    • 4th/5th 12:50-1:50
    • Middle Grades 1:55-2:55
  • 4th Grade Library 10-11
  • Beginning Teacher Meeting at 3:30-4:30
Thursday, October 19
  • Kindergarten Planning 8-9
  • Hill at A+ Principal Leadership Meeting in Raleigh (9 AM-3PM)
  • 2nd Grade Planning at 10:10-11:10
  • Arts PLC at 11:15-12:15
  • 6th Grade- Eat Less/ Move More Program at 11-12
  • 4th Grade Planning at 12:50-1:50
Friday, October 20
  • Kindergarten Planning 8-9
  • 1st Grade Planning 9-10
  • Samuelson (5th) - Library Visit 9-10
  • Russ (Middle School) - Library Visit 9:15-12:00
  • Ezell (5th) - Library Visit 9:45-10:45
  • Hill/Norris/ Falls/ Lanham/Clough at A+ Meeting 10-3
  • 2nd Grade Library 1-2
  • Friends of Music at MU at 2 PM with Music Elective (Duo Cintemani)
  • Turn in Box Tops to Front Desk





No comments:

Post a Comment